Monday, September 5, 2011

Jean-Talon Market

There are many markets throughout Ottawa and surrounding areas, but, for some reason, my favourite outdoor food market happens to be the Jean-Talon market in Montreal.

One of my absolute favourite things to do in this city is drive out of it and straight to this market. I love to walk up and down the aisles bursting with the colours of seasonal veggies and fruit. I love the bread shop, which I could spend hours in. I adore the cheese store, though I don't speak French or 'cheese' and rely heavily on a good friend to guide me through (I'm never disappointed with her/my choices!). I get lost in the store that basically stocks only oils (olive and truffle being my obsessions) and appreciate that they let you taste test the different kinds as if they were wine.

Last, and certainly not least, I LOVE the calamari. I don't know why it's so good here. The drive? The anticipation? How you have to stand and eat it sometimes because it's so busy? Damn, it's good.  (OK, some times I go just for the calamari).

Take a Sunday drive to Jean-Talon - www.marchespublics-mtl.com/English/Jean-Talon

n.

No comments:

Post a Comment